Please check with your selected Agency for foster care and adoption requirements.
Common requirements are that prospective fostering and adoptive parents may be single or married and must be at least 21 years of age, financially stable, and responsible, mature adults. You may also need to:
- Complete an application.
- Share information regarding your background and lifestyle.
- Provide relative and non-relative references.
- Show proof of marriage and/or divorce.
- Allow staff to complete a criminal history background check and an abuse/neglect check on all household members 14 years of age and older.
- Attend free training to learn about issues of abused and neglected children. This training provides an opportunity for the family and the agency to assess whether foster care or adoption is best for the family.The family may withdraw from meetings at any time. Fostering and adoptive parents generally train together.